For quite a while now the objects I have been printing have all had to do with extending, or improving, my Prusa. So I decided that it was about time that I had go at printing something else less machine oriented.
So I found this on Thingiverse (Micro Robot Arm) and thought it would be fun to print it and to write the Arduino code to control it.
So the servos are ordered and I am starting to print the parts. Photos and details to follow as the construction proceeds.
Update: 10 June
The main parts for the arm are printed, I am having problems printing the rack and gear.
It is nice to come across a post that helps to inspire you and make you feel that we are on the right track for the next generation. Last year I took my Prusa to our local christmas faire and it was the kids who were most fascinated, a 6 year old who wanted one for making robots and a 10 year old girl who followed what was happening and pointed out at one point when I had forgotten to switch on the heated bed. They get it.
My other half often asks if my 3D printer is ever going to make money (earn rather than print). Up until today it seemed that the only way was to find local people who want to have something printed and to charge them Finding these people has just got easier. Enter MakerXYZ.
I have been interested in the Raspberry PI with a view to using it as a driver for my Prusa, or as a general 3D processing workstation. e.g. Automating the production of GCode etc. Well yesterday I found out that RS are now shipping the long awaited PI Camera module. Well I just had to buy one and it should arrive soon. I will post us my impressions of it once I get my hands on it.
People may have noticed that I have not been posting much lately. This is because I have been diagnosed with cancer of the colon. However, we are trying some alternative cures and the chemo, whilst tough, does seem to be having a positive effect.
I will be using some of my spare time to complete the hadron plus some accessories such as a simple laser cutting head. So watch this space.
I've been fairly busy with work and Quick2Wire.com the past few months and my 3D printer has pretty much taken the back seat. But one of the things I have been doing is gathering the parts to build an OrdBot Hadron. This was given a big boost by the successful funding of a European MakerSlide project on ulule.com.
This weekend most of the parts have finally arrived and so I started the build.
The Y Assembly
Some of it went smoothly, but I found that one of the laser cut parts, the Gantry Plate, was totally the wrong size.
Upon investigation I found that the DXF file I originally used was wrong. Fortunately the others were OK, so I only have to get that plate re-cut.
Serves me right for forgetting the old adage 'Measure twice, cut once'. In this case, check that the dimensions make sense before sending the DXF off to be cut.
So project is back on hold until the reworked plates arrive.
I had the laser cutting done by 4D Modelshop in London. An excellent service and really helpful to a novice in Laser cutting. I highly recommend them.