The next iteration of Slic3r has been released and has some nice additions. For a start the slicing algorithm has been written and seems to be faster. It also is far far more tolerant of badly constructed STL file. I tried two that I always had to fix before using V6 and they sailed though V7 with no errors and the generated gcode files look good too.
It has a new option to select the gcode variant you want to generate, e.g. Marlin/Sprinter.
It has a new option to control cooling. I do not have a machine controlled fan on my machine, so at the moment I can't try this out.
And what we have all been waiting for :---- an option to generate Support Material.
The few prints I managed to do this weekend looked as good as ever. Next session I am going to try the support features. I will post up some results when I do.
If you haven't tried Slic3r you should http://slic3r.org